I live to travel. I travel to live.

World Map

Thursday, October 19, 2006

My Nepalese Nickname

Travel Journal September 19 2006:

I don't like being called "Sir." Especially by those much older and more successful than myself. But in Nepal, my skin promotes me from a poor college student with dirty, ratty, patched clothes, duct-taped sandals and a sparse, unshaven scragly face, to "Sir." It's a stratificaton game I don't wish to play. My name is Evan- prounounced any way you want: Eban, Ay-van, Evano, Eevan, whatever. "Sir" must be my Nepalese name. Hopefully not also my Indian name.



[It is stlil kind of my name at the resort place I am staying at, but I'm working on changing it. I am told that the locals young men who are employed here refer to me as Adam someone, because I look like the Australian cricket player. That'll do.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir, Adam, ????,
I thought the term was sahib. Although it feels uncomfortable and it probably relates back to colonialism, being refered to as "Sir" may not reflect at all on you or your relationship with the locals. It probably is just habit on their part. Kind of like being called Bubba in the south or Dude in California (although without the negative history of the "Sir"). I would also try to stop everyone from using that term but if they feel more comfortable calling me that, I would grin and tolerate it.
Wow, shower from a bucket - you really are living the bohemian life. Of course I spent much of the summer bathing in lakes and streams so I'm not that far behind you.
Do you wash your clothes in a river?
I thought you were staying at a resort - obviously not the type of resort we think of when we hear that term. More like a hunting camp (which I've never actually stayed at).
Being named after a Cricket player - now that's ......? something!

Anonymous said...

youre a funny man, eebanoh

the flag football team misses you, the defense isnt as dominant without that 6'3" safety in the back with the receiving gloves and the uber-intimidating bandana

i havent checked the blog in a while because im a bad friend, that and the daily has me writing about 10 articles a week, its no excuse... maybe just a small one

basketball season starts soon, and like flag football, wont be the same...

sad


take care,
josh