I live to travel. I travel to live.

World Map

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dry shoes = Good times

As the title will tell you, my feet have dried. Everyone breathe a sigh of relief now. I'll wait...

OK. So taking up from that morning of wet misery yet lively adventure, here is a brief synopsis from my travel journal, although I realize I didn't really write much about what happened after our flooded night in Peel.

8/22/07

"We made our way back to Douglas from there, got onto couchsurfing, sent out a few emails to prospective hosts on the Man, and met Hanlin in a coffee shop. Hanlin offered us a dry bed at his place for the night and we accepted but only after we met and fielded a hosting possibility from a generous young couch surfer.

Hanlin drove us around that day and we were able to see Castletown and Port Erin before having a couple pints that night.

The next couple days were slow without many noteworthy events but Sunday and Monday nights we spent camped out beneath the stars, first in a restricted area in an old dirt bike race track above Douglas, and then near the beach outside of the old capital of Castletown. We dined on fruit, cheese and bread and stayed up late listening to music by the light of the campfire.

We had come full circle, from the first days of a backpacking trip, to a storm soaked and then boring time, back to living cheap and enjoying the easy life of camping. Thursday morning as we walked to the airport and discussed the Royal family I felt good in my time on the Man. Although my physical journey never bore any fruit, I had traded it for memories of friendly hospitality, lively misery, and finally a contented comfort. I'll probably never return to the Man, but a place that most people don't even know exists has left a small isle of good impressions on me."


Corny, I know. Whatever. I wrote it quickly.

We fly to Alexandria, Egypt tonight and Hala's family is picking us up, although it turns out that me being Whitey and male doesn't agree with everyone. I guess the oldest and boss uncle didn't like the idea of us staying there and so banned it which meant all the family and friends were prohibited from hosting us. Luckily, Hala's friend Mustafa- not a lion like I originally thought- got us a cheap price on a apartment/ dorm place for students and we will stay there until we decide to couch surf or move on. It sounds really nice and only about $7 a night each, so we will see. I was hoping to get by for less. I spent a load of cash on the Man.

I'll keep writing and update you all on my first Middle Eastern adventure in a few days hopefully! Keep your fingers crossed for more misery, strange encounters, and cultural exchanges. I will too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, you are crazy. 7moneys is not alot of moneys. i dont know how u survive. u are more man than i.

Anonymous said...

hey evan, I tried to answer your couchsurfing email, but I think the emailing thing on there doesn't work for some reason so I had to write this on your blog, the only way to contact you that I found...
no problem you can stay at my place, I have a couple of other friends though, so be prepared to sleep on matresses!!
add me on msn: iknatonis@hotmail.com or find me on facebook so we can talk!!
Mostafa