I live to travel. I travel to live.

World Map

Saturday, August 25, 2007

First Days of Egypt

I have been in Egypt now for about three days. Those of you expecting some great revelation, advanced insight, or incredible encounter or adventure at this point should stop reading now. No such thing has come to pass yet.

We arrived very early in the morning, flying through Athens, Greece and Hala's strict uncle and two cousins picked us up at around 330 AM and took us to our hotel. We got checked in and slept until around noon. The next day we were up and about when Hala tried to call her friend, Nader, who she though might be in Greece with his family for a week or so. However, due to some problem with his visa/passport, he had to stay behind and was willing to take us swimming.

I dont really like swimming for a few reasons, not the least of which is that I'd be bright red after about 10 minutes under the Mediterranean Sun. But we went to Nader's families private beach bungalo in this fancy club that is reserved for families of politicians. Apparently Nader's grandmother's sister's husband was a former ambassador to Russia back in the 70's and so now he is able to come out to this private club bungalo place. So while Hala and Nader spent an hour in the sea, I sat in the shade, did crosswords puzzles in the cool breeze and relaxed listening to her Ipod. What a life.

After a dinner of kebabs, he dropped us off and we went out to a waterfront coffeehouse for some water and a sheesha- the water pipe with flavored tobacco. I'd tried this a few times in America and I really enjoy sitting and puffing on these. Very relaxing before bed.

The next morning Hala's two cousins, Eptisam and Mohammed picked us up and took us to a cafe on the water where we had mango juice and waited much too long for food to be available that never was. So we went and had some fu'ul which I guess is a staple middle eastern dish that is basically refried beans in a pita. Someone might argue there are spices or other things in it, but I would respond by saying "WELL THE STUFF WE HAD WAS SMASHED PINTO BEANS IN PITA!" Sorry for the outburst.

To beat the heat, we went back to the hotel, took another cold shower and took a nap until around 4pm. At this time we got up and walked to teh famed library of Alexandria where we spent a few hours walking around admiring the architecture and reading books on the middle east. I read a few chapters in a book about Saddam Hussein written after the first Gulf War. Another sheesha before bed capped the night.

Today we somehow slept until noon, and only then got up, showered and dressed and went looking for what turned out to be lunch. I got shaved in a barber- since India I have realized shaving yourself is for losers- and the guy murdered my face- in a good way. At one point after finishing shaving me, he said "Water?" with which I assumed he would rinse off my face. Only he didnt supply any water, but instead pinched the hell out of my face and even ears with two tautly held pieces of thread. It seriously hurt. And my face is still on fire an hour later.

So now we await further word from Hala's friends or cousins on what we will do today and with who. Maybe a trip back to the beach with Nader is on the agenda, we aren't sure yet. Either way the good life is being led here on the Sea, and only the heat is bothersome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im jealous...live it up for me. one day maybe ill get to go there...one day. have fun. good luck. stay safe. eat some squeaky cheese for me.

have fun buddy...keep up the updates...good job....byebye

Anonymous said...

Take it nice and easy and be sure not to walk around alot. I'm starting to worry about your 16 mile day on Man. Can you do that any day? It took me a summer of backpacking before I could do 16-18 comfortably.
Oh well, you'll probably need to carry your old man's pack.
When are you going to Gisa?